Eyelash extensions are all the rage in Hollywood and on the red carpet. But what happens when they get dirty? Here is a guide to help you how to clean eyelash extensions and keep them looking fabulous.
Why do you need to clean eyelash extensions?
Cleaning your lash extensions removes any build-up of oils, makeup, or debris that can occur over time. It will help keep the lashes looking their best and prevent irritation or bald spots in eyelashes.
Not only this, but cleaning is also helpful in prolonging the lifespan of your lash extensions. Also, regular cleaning of eyelash extensions means fewer chances of an allergic reaction.
And if you want to make your makeup look more outstanding and flawless, cleaning is the way to go! Because these extensions are just like natural hair, they will absorb your makeup and can become clogged. This can lead to breakage and shedding.
Cleaning them regularly will help to avoid this and keep your makeup looking on point.
When to clean lash extensions?
You should be cleaning your lash extensions every few days to once a week, depending on how often you wear them and how quickly they get dirty.
If you wear them every day, you will need to clean them more often than someone who only wears them on special occasions. Also, it depends on your environment and lifestyle. If you live in a dusty area or smoke cigarettes, you must clean them more often.
And if you have eyelids that are oiler, then we will recommend cleaning them daily because the oil will make the lash fall off quickly.
But here is a crucial point: never clean your lashes right after getting them done! This can cause the adhesive to be less effective and your lash extensions to slip off too soon. Wait at least 24 hours before cleaning them.
How to clean eyelash extensions?
Now that you know when to clean your lash extensions, it’s time to learn how. The process is straightforward and only requires a few household items.
You will need:
- A clean, soft toothbrush
- Gentle, oil-free cleanser
- Warm water
- First, we must remove makeup from your lash extensions if you have any. Use an oil-free makeup remover and a cotton ball to remove any makeup around your lash line. Be gentle so you don’t damage or pull out your lashes.
- The next step is to create a cleansing solution. Mix a small amount of gentle, oil-free cleanser with warm water in a bowl.
- Dip the toothbrush in the solution and brush your lash extensions using gentle circular motions.
- Wash your eyelashes with tepid water to dissolve the entire cleaner.
- Pat your lashes dry with a clean towel, and voila- they’re clean!
What to avoid!
When cleaning your lash extensions, there are a few things you need to avoid to keep them looking their best.
- First, never use regular shampoo or soap on your lash extensions. These products are too harsh and can damage the lashes.
- Also, avoid using cotton balls or swabs to clean your lashes. The cotton can snag on the extensions and cause them to fall out.
- Never pull or rub your lash extensions, as this can cause them to fall out. Be gentle when cleaning them.
- Avoid using any products around your eye area containing oil, as this can dislodge the glue keeping your lash extensions in the set.
- Never try to apply mascara to lash extensions that have already been glued on. This will cause the mascara to clog, and you will lose a few lashes.
- Avoid using cleansing water because such water usually has Micelles that help clean the face, but Micelles are attracted to oil. So if you use cleansing water, it will strip your natural oils, and, as a result, your eyelashes will fall off quickly.
Cleaning your lash extensions is an integral part of taking care of them. You can avoid build-up, breakage, and shedding by cleaning them regularly. You can clean them using a gentle, oil-free cleanser and a soft toothbrush. Just be sure to avoid any products containing oil, as this can break down the glue holding your lash extensions in place.
Can I use baby shampoo to clean my lash extensions?
No, you should avoid regular shampoo or soap on your lash extensions because these products contain oil and harsh chemicals that can break the bond between the lash extension and your natural lash.
Can I use makeup wipes to clean my lash extensions?
Makeup wipes are not suitable for lash extensions as they are not oil-free. If you have no choice but to use them, avoid getting the oil from the wipes on your lash line.
What happens if I don’t clean my lash extensions?
If you don’t clean your lash extensions, the oil and dirt will build up on your lashes. And they will start appearing like spider legs. Not only that, but it will also cause the irritation and inflammation of your lash follicles. In severe cases, it can also lead to bacterial infection.
What type of cleanser should I use to clean my lash extensions?
Any oil-free cleanser will work fine. You can also use foaming cleansers or gel cleansers.
Can I swim with lash extensions?
Yes, you can swim with lash extensions. But clean your lashes thoroughly afterward to avoid any build-up of chlorine or salt water.